Go back to MODERNIST ROUTE

The church of St. Laurence for the farmers’ guild of St. Laurence and St. Isidro

© Pep Escoda

After the Civil War, Gothic churches had lost many of their religious images. Josep Maria Jujol's brother-in-law, Ramon Gibert Mosella, who was a member of the Farmers' Guild of St. Isidro, was responsible for bringing in the artist to work on the church. The different Jujolian features in the building came very late in the artist's career. For example, the step of the Holy Sepulchre dates from 1942, in wood adorned with a thin layer of gold, involving carpenter Lluís Àvila and gilder Enric Roca; the master's signature can also be found in the feet of Christ. A year later he created the step of Mercy, in 1943, with the same craftsmen as before, and Josep Maria Martisella, the sculptor, turned the face of the Mother of God into a replica of Jujol's wife, Teresa Gibert. Jujol was also involved in executing other very significant works in the church: the guild's banner in 1942, the guild's medal in 1940 in bronze, and the standard of Mercy and the banner of the Holy Sepulchre in 1944. The sisters-in-law of the Tarragonan artist were also involved in some of the embroidery work.

Pre-booked visits: 628 670 489 / gremidepagesost@tinet.cat

Pl. de la Pagesia
Coordinates: 
41.119083000000, 1.259587000000