Go back to MEDIAEVAL ROUTE

The Church of St. Lawrence

© Pep Escoda

The Church of Sant Llorenç, or St. Lawrence, is the only entirely Gothic place of worship still standing in Tarragona. The current building is the result of rebuilding work completed in 1362 A.D. It is a simple structure with a nearly square, one-nave floor plan that is divided into four segments by three diaphragm arches, which support the wooden gable roof. The four chapels on the epistle, or right-hand, side of the church are Gothic, and the one shielding the Holy Sepulchre has a ribbed-vault ceiling and window with mouldings of trilobed leaves. The building is home to two mediaeval works from the lost sanctuary of St. Mary Magdalene: the magnificent St. Lawrence altarpiece and an exquisite chalice from the late Gothic period.

Pre-booked visits: 628 670 489 / gremidepagesost@tinet.cat

Pl. de la Pagesia
Coordinates: 
41.119053000000, 1.259539000000
Listen to audio-guide (Duration: 02:58)

No Adobe Flash Player installed. Get it now.