The Walls (Archaeological Promenade) (MHT)
In the 2nd century B.C., a great wall was built around Tarraco, delimiting the municipal boundaries. The wall originally ran some 3,500 metres. Today, approximately 1,100 metres remain, bordering present-day Tarragona's Old Quarter. The walls are the oldest Roman construction still conserved outside Italy. Between the 16th and 18th centuries, they were reinforced with bulwarks, a curtain wall and exterior fortifications in order to adapt the Tarragona defences to new forms of artillery. The Passeig Arqueològic, or Archaeological Promenade, winds between the ancient Roman and modern curtain walls and is dotted with shaded gardens, romantic poetry and historical explanations. Special attention should be paid to the Archbishop's Tower, which underwent considerable alterations in the Middle Ages, and the Minerva Tower, which is the site of the oldest Roman sculpture and inscription in the Iberian Peninsula.
€3.30: Price per venue. The Tarragona History Museum (MHT) is comprised of: Model of Roman Tarraco, Casa Castellarnau Museum, the Walls (Archaeological Promenade), the Praetorium and Roman Circus, the Roman Amphitheatre, the Local or Colony Forum and Casa Canals.
• €1.70: Groups of over 25, pensioners, older than 65, retired, the unemployed, single-parent families and Students older than 16.
• Large families: Only one member pays.
• Free: Under the age of 16, organised school groups, teacher’s card, PortAventura ticketholders, ICOM Members, licensed journalist and officially accredited guides + on the last Tuesday of every month (between October and May): the Walls (Archaeological Promenade), the Praetorium and Roman Circus, the Roman Amphitheatre, the Local or Colony Forum
Pass to MHT venues (see availability):
• €7.40: Pass to Roman MHT venues (the Walls -Archaeological Promenade, the Praetorium and Roman Circus, the Roman Amphitheatre, the Local or Colony Forum). Valid for one year.
• €3.65: Pass to Roman MHT venues for groups of over 25, pensioners, older than 65, retired, single-parent families, the unemployed and Students older than 16. Valid for 30 days.
• €11.05: Pass to all MHT venues. Valid for one year.
• €5.50: Pass to all MHT venues for groups of over 25, pensioners, older than 65, retired, single-parent families, the unemployed and Students older than 16. Valid for 30 days.
Tickets on sale at https://www.tarragona.cat/patrimoni/museu-historia/preus-i-venda-dentrades
LAST ENTRANCE: 30 MINUTES BEFORE CLOSING
02/01-31/03 + 01/10-31/12
Monday: closed / Tuesday to Friday: 9:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. / Saturday: 10:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Monday: closed / Tuesday to Friday: 9.00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. / Saturday: 9:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
9:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
|Mondays open: Model of Tarraco, Cathedral, Tarragona Biblical Museum, Mèdol Quarry, Francolí River Paleochristian Complex and Chapel of St. Paul|