Praetorium and Roman Circus (MHT)
Located between Via Augusta and the provincial forum, Tarragona's circus was once used to hold horse and chariot races. An elongated structure measuring 325 by 115 metres, its original capacity has been estimated at 30,000 spectators. The complex was built in the 1st century. Unusually, it was located within the city limits and is thus endowed with several atypical architectural features. It is considered one of the best-preserved circuses in the West, although some of the original structure remains hidden under old 19th-century buildings. The Praetorium is a Roman-era tower that once housed the stairs that connected the lower city to the provincial forum by way of the circus, to which it is connected by means of underground passageways. It stands at one of the corners of the vast rectangle of the provincial forum square. In the 12th century, it was transformed into a palace for the monarchs of the Crown of Aragon. It was subsequently used as a prison.
As of 24 July 2020, access to the praetorium and Roman circus shall be via the entrance in Rambla Vella. Visitors should exit via the stairs on the terrace of the Gothic Hall in the Praetorium Tower, towards Plaça del Rei.
€3.30: Price per venue. The Tarragona History Museum (MHT) is comprised of: Model of Roman Tarraco, Casa Castellarnau Museum, the Walls (Archaeological Promenade), the Praetorium and Roman Circus, the Roman Amphitheatre, the Local or Colony Forum and Casa Canals.
• €1.70: Groups of over 25, pensioners, older than 65, retired, the unemployed, single-parent families and Students older than 16.
• Large families: Only one member pays.
• Free: Under the age of 16, organised school groups, teacher’s card, PortAventura ticketholders, ICOM Members, licensed journalist and officially accredited guides + on the last Tuesday of every month (between October and June): the Walls (Archaeological Promenade), the Praetorium and Roman Circus, the Roman Amphitheatre, the Local or Colony Forum
Pass to MHT venues (see availability):
• €7.40: Pass to Roman MHT venues (the Walls -Archaeological Promenade, the Praetorium and Roman Circus, the Roman Amphitheatre, the Local or Colony Forum). Valid for one year.
• €3.65: Pass to Roman MHT venues for groups of over 25, pensioners, older than 65, retired, single-parent families, the unemployed and Students older than 16. Valid for 30 days.
• €11.05: Pass to all MHT venues. Valid for one year.
• €5.50: Pass to all MHT venues for groups of over 25, pensioners, older than 65, retired, single-parent families, the unemployed and Students older than 16. Valid for 30 days.
Tickets on sale at https://www.tarragona.cat/patrimoni/museu-historia/preus-i-venda-dentrades
LAST ENTRANCE: 30 MINUTES BEFORE CLOSING
02/01-31/03 + 01/10-31/12
Monday: closed / Tuesday to Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 8.30 p.m. / Saturday: 9:30 a.m. - 8.30 p.m.
9:30 a.m. - 2.30 p.m.
Monday: closed / Tuesday to Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. / Saturday: 9:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
9:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
|Mondays open: Mèdol Quarry, Francolí River Paleochristian Complex, Museu Bíblic Tarraconense (Biblical museum) and Chapel of St. Paul|