Go back to MEDIAEVAL ROUTE

The Old Santa Tecla Hospital

© Alberich Fotògrafs

Among the surviving laic buildings, attention should be called to the Old St. Paul and St. Tecla Hospital, located on Carrer de les Coques and today home to the El Tarragonès Regional Council. The hospital was founded in 1171 A.D. by testamentary order of the archbishop Hug of Cervelló. Nothing is known of the original architectural layout, as only the façade remains today. It is a portico with five round arches resting on pillars with engaged columns on the main façade and two smaller arches on the western side. The capitals are decorated with geometric forms and depictions of plant life. In 1464 A.D., the hospital merged with the Tarragona city hospital. This was possibly when the two upper storeys, with their richly decorated windows, were added.

(outside view)

C. Les Coques, 3
Coordinates: 
41.118862000000, 1.258503000000
Listen to audio-guide (Duration: 02:46)

No Adobe Flash Player installed. Get it now.