You are here
The cloister is rectangular in shape. The round arches, supported by double columns, are grouped in threes under pointed relieving arches. The cloister's sculpture work is one of the most pre-eminent examples of Romanesque art in Catalonia and dates back to the turn of the 13th century. The reliefs are concentrated in the capitals and ogees and are characterised by the great wealth of their iconographic repertoire, among which special attention should be called to the famous "procession of rats". The door connecting the cathedral to the cloister, which dates from the first half of the 13th century, is a fine specimen. Completely carved in marble, the tympanum shows Christ in Majesty surrounded by the symbols of the four Evangelists. Among the Gothic chapels that open onto the cloister, special attention should be drawn to the Corpus Christi Chapel (1330), which is decorated with beautiful stone statues and stained glass. Other Gothic chapels include that known as Mare de Déu de les Neus, or the Our Lady of the Snow Chapel (1317), and that dedicated to St. Ramon. The image of Our Lady of the Cloister, which dates from the 13th century, is a particularly important object of worship in its chapel.