Go back to MEDIAEVAL ROUTE

The King's Castle

© Pep Escoda

The castle was built at the start of the Christian resettlement, taking advantage of an old Roman tower. It would serve as the residence of the city's Norman family until 1171 A.D., when it passed into the hands of the King and the Crown of Aragon. The castle underwent major renovation work during the reigns of Jaume II and Pere III. Today, the southern façade, with its many soaring windows from the 14th - century, survives, as do some interior walls and arcades, merlons and, of special note, the Gothic chamber on the upper floor, with its elegant round arches supporting the flat wood ceiling. The castle was partially destroyed by French troops in 1813.

See "Museums and monuments" for opening hours and prices

Pl. del Rei
977 221 736
Coordinates: 
41.116333000000, 1.257894000000
Listen to audio-guide (Duration: 05:33)

No Adobe Flash Player installed. Get it now.