Located just minutes from the cathedral and in front of the mediaeval cemetery, the Old Santa Tecla Hospital is a Romanesque-Gothic structure that today serves as the seat of the El Tarragonès Regional Council. Founded in 1171 A.D., nothing is known of the hospital's original architectural layout, and all but the façade has long been lost. The remaining portion is a portico with five rounded arches resting on pillars with engaged columns on the main façade and two smaller arches on the western side. The capitals are decorated with geometric forms and depictions of plant life. In 1464 A.D., the hospital merged with the Tarragona city hospital. This was probably when the two upper storeys with their five elaborately decorated windows were added.
|Mondays open: Mèdol Quarry, Francolí River Paleochristian Complex, Museu Bíblic Tarraconense (Biblical museum) and Chapel of St. Paul|